Saturday, February 19, 2011

History to Current Events

My thoughts for a wiki to use in class combined with my desire to make connections from history class to real life and my students desire to talk about current events. Unfortunately the pacing of this class leaves little time for anything extra. I thought it would be interesting to start a class wiki where students could share their thoughts about how things connected. Anyone could add a topic and others could add to the conversation about the connections. For example my students are learning about effigies. I showed a picture of an effigy in the Egypt protests. On a wiki, everyone could add viewpoints on the connections from past to present. Another comparison we made was the Committees of Correspondance in the 1770's verses Twitter and Facebook in Egypt today. Other examples the Tea Party of 1773 and the Tea Party political movement today.
I think students would like to have a place where they can "try out" their understanding. It could also have the added benefit of having students be more interested in current events.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Current events are such a great way to help students understand the past. It's like when we read The Victorian Internet and compared its effects to those of the invention and development of the Internet. I hope you do it, because I am sure I will learn from it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you be doing this in class, or outside of class? I know that I've run into issues with lack of computer access at home for some of my kids. Just a thought. But I agree, that it's an engaging way for students to talk about current events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed! I love how you are using Wikis to tie in past events with current events. Such great connections! It has to be neat for the students to see the similarities and differences of making your voice heard in the past and today through technology. That makes learning about the past authentic and meaningful and then it allows them to make their voice heard through wikis. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete