This blog is about my endeavors to improve my teaching, which in turn should improve the ability of my students to learn, think, reason and create. Coming from my first class in my master's program, I admit to feelings of being overwhelmed. Everything I went to accomplish today for my own classroom was scrutinized through the lens of "Has this been designed or just thrown together?" I have so far to go and so much to learn since I couldn't answer my own question most of the time.
On the positive side, I would say that my first class gave me a refresher on the perspective from the student side of things. As a person who tries to follow directions (except when I am baking), I found myself missing a step or two in our computer exercises. When I realized my problem stemmed from the fact that I had not read the next sentence, I mentally heard myself say as I do to my students "You guys have to read the directions." I was humbled.
I was also a mediocre, just making it student in this exercise. It was enlightening (although a bit frightening) to be in that position--to know others around you were "catching on" and you were not. I want to remember that for my students.
Finally, I realized the time we had spent during class to get to know each other had resulted in a group which was already collaborating and bonding. I want to try that with my own students next Tuesday when school begins. Middle school students are not as forgiving as fellow teachers, but I want to try for that collaborative atmosphere as a starting point.
No comments:
Post a Comment